World on the Edge

Created

World on the Edge.

If anyone has comments, please add them here. I also included a link on Plans of action (and added a link from there to Without the hot air, which wasn't on the list yet)

Comments

edited January 2011

Great!

Since these are book titles, I'm gonna capitalize them - that's the way Wikipedia does it.

Comment Source:Great! Since these are book titles, I'm gonna capitalize them - that's the way Wikipedia does it.

I'm planning to write a summary of the chapter on "Falling water tables and shrinking harvests" because we haven't talked much about what Brown calls "water bubbles". It may take a little time, I'd like to take a look at his references.

I think that if these water bubbles are real, the related harvest collapses will be very influential for the stability of societies.

What I'm also worried about is that modern agriculture very much relies on the usage of oil — but ok, I could imagine electrical tractors powered by wind turbines surrounding the crops, so I guess the falling water tables (and denudation) are a more important problem.

Comment Source:I'm planning to write a summary of the chapter on "Falling water tables and shrinking harvests" because we haven't talked much about what Brown calls "water bubbles". It may take a little time, I'd like to take a look at his references. I think that if these water bubbles are real, the related harvest collapses will be very influential for the stability of societies. What I'm also worried about is that modern agriculture very much relies on the usage of oil — but ok, I could imagine electrical tractors powered by wind turbines surrounding the crops, so I guess the falling water tables (and denudation) are a more important problem.

I've added some content about the second problem in the book.

I thought the best way to do this was to use some excerpts which are eye-catchers (I think) of that chapter.

Comment Source:I've added some content about the second problem in the book. I thought the best way to do this was to use some excerpts which are eye-catchers (I think) of that chapter.

@John: I suppose these excerpts are short enough so that I don't have to ask the Earth Policy Institute for permission? (they write something like this in their book, but I guess they are talking about larger excerpts)

If you prefer to do things honestly I can write them an email.

Comment Source:@John: I suppose these excerpts are short enough so that I don't have to ask the Earth Policy Institute for permission? (they write something like this in their book, but I guess they are talking about larger excerpts) If you prefer to do things honestly I can write them an email.

I think short excerpts are allowable under the 'fair use' policy of most copyright laws. Since they are giving away the book for free and you're citing them, they're not likely to cause a fuss.

Comment Source:I think short excerpts are allowable under the 'fair use' policy of most copyright laws. Since they are giving away the book for free and you're citing them, they're not likely to cause a fuss.